Thursday, November 12, 2009

Art Deco Bar Update 2

Progress has been slowed by the remnants of Ida drenching North Carolina and bringing along with it a cold snap (upper 40's).  However, I am too excited about this project to be kept away and have persevered. So here is update number 2.

I have approached this project as 3 main projects within the big picture.  The bar, the back corner bar, and the stepped out ceiling area over the bar.  This picture shows the dry fit of the 4 parts that make up the ceiling over the bar.  This is looking from the top down, the cutout area in the base piece will be covered by a mirror or smoked plexi.

Using the inspiration pic in my first post on this project as my reference point, I am "dressing" the outer edge of the curved bar ceiling pieces with laminate dyed white.  Here the first piece goes on!  I subsequently completed all three curved pieces and set them aside to dry over night.

Shifting from the ceiling project, here I am dry fitting the arched curves that frame the mirrored back shelves on the back corner bar.  Unfortunately, this opened my realization that I had a problem in the making.

Here the back corner bar top and doors are dry fit to the assembled base cabinet.  In the background you can see the arches for the top of the cabinet have been painted white.  Next I placed this dry fit piece and the bar on the floor piece to check size and fit.

Yep, too darn big!  It kills me to redo things but I had no choice in this case.  The domino affect would have been to cut a larger floor and cut a new ceiling over the bar, etc., etc.  Any of you in the mini world has been down this road before and I feel sure you hate it as much as I do.  Anyway, here the assembled base cabinet has be cut apart, resized, and is being glued back together.

Ta Da!  Magic, just two days later and 40% smaller.  Now I can move forward again.

The centerpiece of this roombox is of course, the bar!  Here you can get some detail of the construction I used.  In this photo I have started the actual bar counter.  Originally I made the counter a single piece but with all the upright supports and curves, I could not get it into place without removing the bar top which was already glued and secured in place.  I opted to cut the counter into 7 or 8 individual pieces.  Here the first 3 are cut, covered with aluminum and dry fit in place.  Only 5 more to go!

Here all the bar counter pieces are cut, covered in aluminum and dry fit to the bar.  I will wait to glue the pieces in place until after the laminate under the counter is in place.

And Viola', the laminate goes on!  This laminate is dyed black.  I left an open space on the left side and one on the right side that will contain some open shelves.  So I have measured and cut three pieces to fill in under the bar counter.  These were clamped and left over night to dry.

In my next update I think you will be able to clearly see how these three main projects start to come together.  Thanks for peeking in!


  1. Great photos! It's always the most interesting part - to see the work in progress. I haven't tried art deco style, though I'm a huge fan of it. Your work will be a great reference for me.

  2. Thanks Victoria, this is turning into a fun but very challenging project! The third room box is to be the dining room, which presents all new challenges. I have already started preliminary design of that phase as well. Any time you want to ask about or offer some advice on Art Deco, just let me know! I am learning as I go!


  3. I'm enjoying the progress, Richard. :)

  4. Thanks Dale, your bar seat cushions will complete the picture!